Churchwardens, when admitted, are the Bishop’s lay officers responsible directly to him for the life and work of the church in the parish. Responsibilities laid upon them from time to time by the Bishop, or by the Archdeacon and the Area Dean, include ensuring the maintenance of the building, arranging for services to be taken in an interregnum and acting as ex-officio members of the PCC.
The appointment of Churchwardens is governed by the “Churchwardens Measure 2001”.
Please browse the links on the right hand side of this page to find documents designed to help and support churchwardens. There is a new Churchwarden Handbook coming soon to replace these documents.
Training, Events and Visitations for Churchwardens
Archdeacon Visitations for 2017 took place in Canterbury, Benenden and Sheppey during May. Details of next year’s Visitations will be publicised on this page in early 2018 as well as in the Visitation News which is publicised each Spring for churchwardens.
Training for new churchwardens takes place annually by archdeaconry.
Training for new Church Wardens within a social event will happen on the following dates, please pass this information to all new or prospective churchwardens for their diaries:
- Ashford Archdeaconry: Wednesday 28th June from 6.30-9pm at St Luke’s, Hawkinge – please book your place by contacting Louise Mills on LMills@archdeacashford.org
- Canterbury Archdeaconry: Thursday 29th June from 6.30pm – 9pm at the Canterbury Archdeaconry – please book your place by contacting Jo Manser on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maidstone Archdeaconry: Monday 26th June from 6.30–9pm, at the Maidstone Archdeaconry – please book your place by contacting Sari Bishop on Sbishop@archdeacmaid.org
Training for all Church Wardens
Workshop style training will be arranged from 9.30am – 1.00pm to include workshops on a variety of mission, ministry and local church topics – please save the date:
- Saturday 9th September – Ashford Archdeaconry (venue TBC)
- Saturday 7th October – Maidstone Archdeaconry (venue TBC)
- Saturday 14th October – Canterbury Archdeaconry (venue TBC)
Please email Holly Adams on email@example.com for any other information relating to Churchwarden training.