"When the disabled are missing, the Christian community itself becomes disabled.’
The World Council of Churches
We are currently seeking to further develop our work in this area, by:
- making sure churches are properly equipped and supported to help welcome disabled people into their communities
- making sure disabled people themselves are valued equally, fully included, and able to contribute their gifts and skills
Link to other organisations and resources
- The Church of England – Barrier free belonging
- The Church of England – Advice and guidance for church buildings – Accessibility. This contains lots of invaluable advice and guidance including a downloadable guide ‘Equal Access to Church Buildings’
- The Church Growth Trust – The Equality Act – Making buildings fully accessible
General advocacy and resource groups
- Inclusive Church
- Through the Roof
- Mosaic – movement of supporting Anglicans for an inclusive church
- Disabled Living Foundation
- Equality and Human Rights Commission
- Torch Trust for the blind
- Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB)
- The Xavier Society for the Blind – providing books and liturgical material in braille and audio
Deaf and hard of hearing
- The Royal National Institute for Deaf People (RNID)
- Open Ears – support and events for hard of hearing and Deaf people
- London Deaf Church
- The British Dyslexia Association – support for those with dyslexia and useful information to help make all aspects of an organisation more accessible. Including a useful downloadable resource guide to producing dyslexia friendly publications
- Wave for change – being church with people with learning difficulties in London
- Mencap – the voice of learning disability
- Count Everyone In – support, training and encouragement for churches to include adults with learning disabilities
- The Additional Needs Alliance – helping churches to include, support, create places of belonging for, and spiritually grow children, young people and young adults with additional needs or disabilities. Support, training and information for families and churches to make inclusion a reality.
- Urban Saints ‘Invited to belong’ – training to make your youth and childrens ministry welcoming to young people with additional needs
- The National Autistic Society – includes guidance for places of worship
- Memory Bridge – resources to encourage and equip the creation of meaningful relationships with people with dementia.
- The Alzheimer’s Society – united against dementia.
- The Church of England mental health resources – including 13 podcast reflections to support and improve mental health.
- The Mental Health Foundation
- Rethink Mental Illness – advice, support and information for those affected by mental illness.
- Sanctuary Mental Health – offering a wealth of information and a small group course focussing on mental health and the church.
- Kintsugi Hope – offering training and resourcing for churches to run ‘Kintsugi Hope’ groups that address mental health and wellbeing