A By-Election in the House of Laity of the General Synod has now commenced.It is duly announced that a By-Election in the House of Laity of the General Synod has now commenced in view of the resignation of Miss Judith Rigby. Nominations are therefore invited to fill this Casual Vacancy. The qualifications for candidates are as follows:
- A candidate must be a lay person who is:
(i) an actual communicant (as defined in Rule 54(1) Church Representation Rules, omitting for this purpose the requirement for entry on the roll of a parish);
(ii) aged at least eighteen;
(iii) either on the church electoral roll of any parish in the diocese; or in the case of the cathedral of the diocese, if not a parish church, on the community roll.
- Unlike electors, candidates need not be members of a deanery synod.
- Candidates must normally be qualified as such at 6.00am on Wednesday 6 June 2018 (The date nomination papers are issued in respect of the casual vacancy)
- A candidate must not be the holder of a paid office or employment to which one of the following central bodies may make or confirm an appointment:
- the General Synod
- the Church Commissioners*
- the Convocations
- the Church of England Pensions Board
- the Corporation of Church House
- the Archbishops’ Council
*(A Church Commissioner in receipt of a salary or other emolument is not so disqualified.)
- A candidate may not stand for more than one diocese simultaneously.
The Closing date for nominations is Friday 6th July at 12.00 noon