About the Diocese of Canterbury
The Diocese is one of the 41 Dioceses that are part of the Church of England, and covers geographically much of East Kent and the Weald. It has 334 churches in 247 parishes. It is a Christian organisation, and holds a number of events including worship services, across the year to bring different groups of people together.
What is an Event Ambassador?
Our Event Ambassadors play an important role in welcoming and meeting the needs of attendees to diocesan events.
As an Event Ambassador you will support the wider event team in ensuring that events run smoothly. You may be asked to do a range of things as the event unfolds, and go where you are needed most. You will need to be prepared to go where you are needed, and be able to speak to a range of people.
What’s in it for you?
- Becoming part of a friendly and dedicated team
- Meeting people from all walks of life and making new friends
- Develop further your communication skills
- Provide excellent welcome and service to delegates
- An opportunity to exercise the gift of hospitality
- Welcome visitors to the event and provide information and directions
- Be able to direct visitors to facilities, refreshments and registration
- Assist with information and orientation around the event
- Use customer service skills to queue-bust at busy times, and communicate with visitors positively
- Be aware of arrangements for visitors with impairments, and children
- Making and serving of refreshments
The role will suit people who are …
- Flexible and willing to play a full part of the event organising team
- Able to use their initiative
- Able to work as part of a team, and individually
- Good at interpersonal skills – vital as the role requires meeting a cross-section of people
- Able to initiate conversation
- Able to stand or walk for long periods
Your Place of engagement – Venues across the Diocese
Time Commitment – The Diocese holds about six large events per year.
These are sometimes held at weekends, and sometimes on weekdays. You will be offered opportunities to help at least four to six weeks in advance and will be free to accept or decline.
Staff Contact – Ms Sarah Howells,
Communities and Partnerships Framework Administrator, Diocesan House, Lady Wootton’s Green, Canterbury, CT1 1NQ Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone – 01227 459401
What you need to wear/bring
You will be provided with a polo shirt and fleece, to make you easily distinguishable. You will also be provided with a high visibility vest.
You will be given a one day induction with the volunteer team, and with the event organisers.
Out of pocket travel expenses between home and event venue will be paid.