A Treasurer is elected at the APCM and the role includes implementing the financial policy of the PCC so that the PCC raises and spends money to meet its responsibilities. The Treasurer prepares an annual budget and assists the PCC in planning for income and expenditure across the year. The Treasurer keeps an accurate record of transactions and ensures the church meets its financial obligations such as insuring against theft and fire and paying clergy expenses. As well as preparing annual accounts, the Treasurer ensures the parish meets the requirements of the Charity Commission. The Treasurer must have financial acumen, but need not be a trained accountant. Understanding the mission and ministry of the church and the Christian concept of stewardship, plus an ability to contribute to discussions is important.
- Parochial Fees
- Clergy fees in vacancy
- Clergy fees in vacancy (Excel)
- Return for Parish Finance
- PCCs as Employers
- Annual Accounts template
- Parish Buying guide – buy smarter
- Parish Resources – supporting stewardship in the local church
- Gift aid
- 2016 Finance Conference slides
- The Bigger Picture of Church of England Finance
Training for PCC Treasurers
There is an annual programme of events and training for PCC Treasurers in the diocese including:
- Training seminars in February to help those Treasurers who are appointed prior to the APCM. These sessions are also a refresher opportunity for continuing Treasurers on annual accounts. There will be two of these sessions taking place in different locations around the diocese.
- Training seminars in July for new Treasurers appointed at the APCM. There will be three of these sessions taking place in different locations around the diocese.
- Two ‘coffee morning’ style events in different places in the diocese in April and October each year. As well as a relaxed and informal opportunity to meet with other treasurers and the Diocesan House support team, there will also be a chance to do some troubleshooting of any issues you are facing in your role.
The July training in 2018 will take place as follows, please follow the link for more information and to book:
- Wednesday 25 July 9.30am-1.00pm, Diocesan House Canterbury – Book here
The October 2018 coffee morning date is still to be confirmed. Please check this page for updated details.
If you have any questions regarding training please get in touch with Sarah Lucas on email@example.com