Terms of Reference for the Parish Share Review Group
The Archbishop’s Council notes the motion of Diocesan Synod passed on the 10th March 2018 which requested that ‘there is a review of the system of Parish Share to see if it is still fit for purpose.’ The Council calls upon the Finance and Assets Committee to set up such a review under the chairmanship of the Chair of the Diocesan Board of Finance. This review will
- Consider how we fund our common life in the light of the current missional challenges
- Consider the balance between centrally funded mission and local mission
- Consult widely with parishes and deaneries across the diocese
- Give consideration to the last 2 Parish Share Reviews (2013 and 2016)
- Research the different methodologies for allocating the parish shares of the agreed diocesan budget in other dioceses of the Church of England,
- Consider other potential methodologies for the allocation of these shares,
- Consider the theology of the different methodologies and which would give rise to the fairest allocation to deaneries and parishes across the diocese,
- Consider how best to communicate with parishes and deaneries and how to educate people as to the purposes of parish share and its allocation
- Report to Finance and Assets upon its findings
- From these findings make recommendations to Finance and Assets and thence to Archbishop’s Council on an appropriate methodology for Parish Share by the end of 2018 with a view to presenting to the Diocesan Synod in March 2019.
The review group to be made up of the following:
- The Chair of the Board of Finance
- The Diocesan Secretary (Secretary of Archbishop’s Council)
- plus 7 other representatives to include
- An Area Dean or Parish Incumbent
- A Deanery Treasurer or Lay Chair
- A Parish Treasurer
- Supported by The Diocesan Director of Finance and other officers as requested by the group
The group to have an appropriate gender balance and cross diocesan representation.
A quorum of 5 members would need to be present for the group to conduct business.