Terms of Reference for the Parish Share Review Group
The Archbishop’s Council notes the motion of Diocesan Synod passed on the 10th March 2018 which requested that ‘there is a review of the system of Parish Share to see if it is still fit for purpose.’ The Council calls upon the Finance and Assets Committee to set up such a review under the chairmanship of the Chair of the Diocesan Board of Finance. This review will
- Consider how we fund our common life in the light of the current missional challenges
- Consider the balance between centrally funded mission and local mission
- Consult widely with parishes and deaneries across the diocese
- Give consideration to the last 2 Parish Share Reviews (2013 and 2016)
- Research the different methodologies for allocating the parish shares of the agreed diocesan budget in other dioceses of the Church of England,
- Consider other potential methodologies for the allocation of these shares,
- Consider the theology of the different methodologies and which would give rise to the fairest allocation to deaneries and parishes across the diocese,
- Consider how best to communicate with parishes and deaneries and how to educate people as to the purposes of parish share and its allocation
- Report to Finance and Assets upon its findings
- From these findings make recommendations to Finance and Assets and thence to Archbishop’s Council on an appropriate methodology for Parish Share by the end of 2018 with a view to presenting to the Diocesan Synod in March 2019.
The review group to be made up of the following:
- The Chair of the Board of Finance
- The Diocesan Secretary (Secretary of Archbishop’s Council)
- plus 7 other representatives to include
- An Area Dean or Parish Incumbent
- A Deanery Treasurer or Lay Chair
- A Parish Treasurer
- Supported by The Diocesan Director of Finance and other officers as requested by the group
The group to have an appropriate gender balance and cross diocesan representation.
A quorum of 5 members would need to be present for the group to conduct business.
Parish Share Survey
To help us understand how the Parish Share allocation mechanism is perceived across the diocese the Review Group wishes to widely consult and to do this has commissioned a survey. It is hoped that respondents will answer questions with the wider diocesan community in mind rather than the confines of immediate parish issues. Each benefice can submit 2 responses; 1 from its incumbent (if there is one) and 1 from the Churchwardens/Treasurer or PCC. Responses are requested by Friday 21st December 2018. It is expected that the survey will take 10-15 minutes to complete.