We currently support all food banks which operate within the Diocese of Canterbury. According to the Trussell Trust, the UK’s largest food bank operator, 13 million people live below the poverty line in Britain, and every day an increasing number of people go hungry. The reasons why range from redundancy to receiving an unexpected bill on a low income. The aim of food banks is to supply emergency food, but also to direct people towards the local essential services they need to help them out of crisis.
The Diocese currently supports all the food banks within East Kent. Please see the list below for links to the food banks themselves. There are also direct links to their ‘most wanted items’ lists and their Facebook pages, which are regularly updated with the food items they most urgently need.
- Ashford Family Food Bank / most needed items / Facebook page
- Canterbury / most needed items (scroll to bottom of page) / Facebook page
- Deal (Trussell Trust) / most needed items
- Dover (Trussell Trust) – most needed items / Facebook page
- Faversham (Trussell Trust) – most needed items / Facebook page
- Thanet Foodlink – most needed items
- Sittingbourne / most needed items / Facebook page
- Shepway/Folkestone (Trussell Trust and the Rainbow Centre, Folkestone) – most needed items / Facebook page
(You may need to be logged onto Facebook in order to view some of the Facebook pages.)