Pastoral Assistants Course 2019
The programme is designed to enable those engaged in pastoral care to become more effective in relating to and caring for the people and communities on behalf of their local church community; and to enable those testing a calling to explore their understanding of pastoral care ministry.
Who is it for?
- Those who are members of a pastoral care team and who desire to learn more about pastoral care in order to help others both informally and formally
- Those in church leadership or who have specific church roles and who desire to develop their awareness of pastoral care in order to support those for whom they have responsibility
- Those who wish to help others in specific community and workplace settings and desire to learn more about pastoral care in outreach and mission
- Those who desire to explore and pursue a call to pastoral care and be recognised as an ALM in their local church or chaplaincy.
The course will take place on the following Tuesdays from 7pm-9pm.
- June 4th – What is pastoral care?
To consider what pastoral care involves, and why it lies at the heart of our response to the love of God in Christ.
- June 11th – Pastoral visiting
To establish the purposes of visiting and explore the expectations of the parish and the pastoral team.
- June 18th – Ways of communicating
To consider different ways of communication within pastoral care.
- July 2nd – Active listening
To examine and explore the nature of listening as a caring activity.
Block 2: September 17th/24th/October 1st/8th
Block 3: October 29th/November 5th/12th/19th.
Sessions for block 2 and 3 will include some of the following topics depending on the learning needs of the participants: Grief and loss, working with families and young people, working with older people and the lonely, an introduction to healing and wholeness, praying with people, boundaries and limitations of pastoral care.
Venue: St Mary’s Church Hall, Church Road, Kennington TN24 9DQ (map). Please note this venue doesn’t have a car-park, there is on-street parking only.
Facilitators: Revd Lesley Hardy and Di Dawson. There will be visiting tutors also.
Email Alice Carolan-Evans for an application form.